Skip to content

Social Media in 2011

December 23, 2010

There is no question that social media is here to stay.  Just look at the numbers:  Twitter is getting close to 200 million users, Facebook has over a half a billion users, and YouTube serves up 2 billion videos a day!  It is clear that the way people are using the internet is changing (and has been changing for some time).

Business can no longer afford not to have a presence in social media.  As Ben pointed out in his blog post last week business are being forced to re-evaluate standard marketing practices in order to effectively reach their customers. Already links to share, digg, and like are becoming common on corporate web sites.

I believe that in 2011 we can expect an ever greater shift by businesses into the social media market.  Having a Facebook page will become more and more common.  Social media will become a primary way companies can connect directly and personally with their customers.

You might think I am crazy for saying this but I believe that over time we will see the importance of corporate websites decrease.  People will rely more on sites like Twitter and Facebook and businesses will respond accordingly.  Now, I am not saying that corporate websites will be unimportant just that they will just not be as important as they are today.

Look at it this way.  If your company doesn’t come up on the first page of a search engines results then it is very hard for customers or potential customers to find you.  With social media SEO (Search Engine Optimization) all but disappears because the model changes.  Now, every time someone “likes” your Facebook page or “follows” you on twitter you get instant exposure to all of their friends.  Additionally, your exposure increases dramatically with each additional “like” or “follower” that you receive.

Also, with sites like Facebook that allow custom applications, companies can now offer their products and services directly from within Facebook.   I don’t think it will be long before things like shopping carts are as common on Facebook as they are on corporate sites.

All in all I think it will be a very interesting to watch how businesses and social media continue to evolve together.  And as a developer I am excited to be right in the middle of it.

Jeff

www.statusnotquo.com

Advertisements
14 Comments leave one →
  1. December 26, 2010 3:51 am

Very interesting topic and useful post. It really help me. Thanks.

• April 14, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks for reading! I am glad you found the information helpful.

• February 9, 2013 5:53 pm

I almost never leave rkarmes, however I browsed a few of the rkarmes on Free eBooks Part 2 | Digital Happiness. I actually do have 2 questions for you if it’s okay. Could it be only me or do a few of the responses appear like they are left by brain dead visitors? And, if you are posting on other online social sites, I’d like to follow everything fresh you have to post. Would you list of the complete urls of all your shared pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

• February 11, 2013 5:33 am

Nqt0QX dzwffbhcdkkb

2. Anonymous permalink
    December 27, 2010 10:19 pm

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

• April 14, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks for reading!

• February 12, 2013 9:08 am

Hilarious! I love the flourishy sig. I think it’s so cute that she was thnkinig of you. I think she just wanted an excuse to talk to her Mama. .-= Heather Kephart s last blog .. =-.[]Twitter: Reply:October 29th, 2009 at 12:57 pmAmanda created the signature a few years ago. Cool2heme means something, but I have forgotten what. Her friend Emily came up with it. She would never admit she just wanted to talk to me. []

3. December 31, 2010 1:34 am

Super-Duper site! I am loving it!! Will come back again – taking you feeds also, Thanks.
    Hello. Great job. I did not expect this on a Wednesday. This is a great story. Thanks!

4. January 3, 2011 1:17 am

Happy new year!

5. January 3, 2011 10:41 am

Hi! I found your blog on Bing.It’s really well written and it helped me a lot.

Continue the good work!

6. February 12, 2013 9:09 am

My boyfriend and I just broke up after ditang for 6 months. I know it’s not the end of the world, but sometimes it feels like it!!!! It wasn’t a bad relationship. We didn’t sin sexually. We didn’t have lots of fights. We just figured out that we weren’t compatiable long term. Our lives were going to 2 different places.How do you handle break ups?

Trackbacks